Portugal deny Ronaldo reported World Cup walkout threat
By Abiola Obayomi • Thursday 8th December 2022 General 77 views
This forum post is open for public reading. Login is only required if you want to reply or create your own topic.
Portugal deny Ronaldo reported World Cup walkout threat

The Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) on Thursday denied Cristiano Ronaldo’s threat to abandon the World Cup squad after being benched against Switzerland.

The 37-year-old striker was surprisingly dropped for the last 16 clashes on Tuesday, with his replacement Goncalo Ramos netting a hat-trick in the 6-1 victory.

Ronaldo appeared from the bench, but a report from the Portuguese publication Record said the striker had previously threatened to leave in a tense conversation with coach Fernando Santos.

“The FPF clarifies that at no time did the captain of the Selecao, Cristiano Ronaldo, threaten to leave the national team during the stay in Qatar,” said the federation.

“Every day Ronaldo is building up a unique track record at the service of the national team and the country, which must be respected.”

The FPF said Ronaldo’s appearance against Switzerland was a further demonstration of his commitment to the cause.

Ronaldo is the most-capped Portuguese player and the top men’s international goalscorer of all time.

Portugal faces Morocco on Saturday in the quarter-finals, where Ramos may again get the nod over Ronaldo.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner did not train with the other substitutes on Wednesday after the game, instead taking part in a gym session alongside the starters against Switzerland.

 

 

 

 

[GuardianNg]

Replies
0
No replies yet. Be the first to reply.
Write a reply
Login required
Want to reply?
You can read this forum post freely without login. To reply, please login or create a free account.
Posting rules
Read
Keep it respectful. No hate, no spam, no scams. Use clear language, share context, and cite sources when needed. Replies may be removed if they violate community standards.